Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do people hate Loyales?

Im gonna go ahead and play devils advocate here and tell you why Loyales kinda suck.

Keep in mind I am an EA81 fan so my opinion will be biased, but Ill try to be fair.

Subaru had been turning out a quality line of products for (in my opinion) about 12 years or so. You can argue with me on this but I think the company didnt really get rolling until the release of the EA81. This isnt just because of the engine, but they were selling ALOT more units by this time. So Im gonna say that Subaru had a quality line up from 1978ish to 1990ish. Anyways, after a good run of a nice little cheap quality product, (everyone knows this is Subarus bread and butter) they gave us the "Loyale". Now, if you take the Loyale for what it is, it is a fine car. However, if you look back and compare it too previous models, it was a major let down. NO D/R? You've got to be kidding me! It was basically a DL in a time when nobody really wanted a DL. The name also has something to do with it, it is a crappy name. Most of all though, I would have to say that it just isnt as popular of a car because, by the time it was released, Subaru owners were expecting more of the same neat, cool, gadgety, quality product, and they got less. I really think the car seems to be nothing more than an attempt by Subaru to kill some time in the early 90s until they could get new models up and running. The whole car projects that to me anyways. Oh yeah, and timing belts kinda lick *** too.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my loyale :)

soob1.jpg

I've yet to "miss" the D/R in my driving exploits (usually mining roads and ice tracks...and daily driving of course). Even with the rather large rally tires on, the stock 5sp ratios were more than adequate.

If you get the output up above 100 HP (I shaved my heads and did some work in the valve seat/short turn area in addition to the standard tune up items) I don't think it's as "neccesary." The SPFI starts great in the winter and has decent throttle repsonse and good milage. The lack of an LSD is a downer...MUCH more so than the lack of D/R. Push button 4wd is great for driving around town and winter driving too...you can almost get 2wd milage with the benefit of 4wd starting and stopping if you use the button liberally.

I've never been much for gadgetry however. The two other cars I own that came with A/C and P/S have had it removed! Haven't yanked the Loyale's P/S yet tho...

• 3 months later...
i think of the loyale as a DL with a tachometer. unlike the dl, the loyale willhave the plugs on the harness for features that didnt come standard, such as power windows, rear speakers, and the map lite

What did you mean by rear speakers. My 91 has no rear speakers. Are they alreafy wired for them. Thanks

I could accurately say lack of power is big reason and small wheels. I gave up the 4wd as I am a highway and long trip kinda guy with my ea82. The spfi on 2wd is still not even bringing a complaint to take off speed and braking.The next 4wd for me by subaru would have to be bigger engine to do what I do now contently with the little one. And my 93 didnt have rear speakers either, I hacked a radio in cheaply from a chevy and added 40ft of my own wire to avoid ground sharing. I made website (I liked the cheap results that much!) It's not beautiful, but I can't say as I could make a better cheap function.

http://93loyale.50megs.co/rayd0