Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaps?

Two qwick ones...

82 DL EA81 4WD 4speed MT

I want put a EA82 MPFI out of an 2wd auto in her, I know that will take some work with the wires and computer but can you just pop it on by replacing connecting wheels (flywheel)?

I would like to have the high/low 4 speeds, should that be a bunch of work?

So already have what I need between the two engines? And what about the dual range? I hear it is best to have a 5sp D/R, but besides the tranny, gear shifter, 4wd shifter, do I need to look into a rear diff or anything else? Or maybe I should just find a trany that went with a EA82 and swap both at the same day. I sorry for bugging you guys with these stupid questions but I want to start searching for everything I to create a almost perfict 82 DL, now I'm starting to think it might have been better go with 83 GL. I guess there is love at first sight...

Thanks, I can't wait to join up for the trips, but I want to be ready! :brow:

well since the motor is from an AT you wont have the ea82 flywheel. if you drill out the flywheel holes it will fit the motor. drill them out to the diameter the flexplate bolts are, and get longer bolts with the right thread, m10 x1.00 thread

if you can get some ea82 flywheel bolts that would be best. just drill the flywheel holes out bigger and there you go!

the motor mounts will fit the same

take out the distributor when u install the motor so you clar the master cylindr, tyhem put it back on

i would say its best to use an ea82 tranny as well, if you find the flywheel for it, but there is a lot more invilved like the driveshaft and tunnel clearance, but i have done a full ea82 motor/trans swap into an ea81 and its not too difficult. not hard to do as long as you know what all you need to use