Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new problem

ok, now all of the sudden my car won't idle, it will start and run smoothly IF you give it gas, but it won't idle. I can't find any vacuum leaks, anything else I should look for.

I guess I could turn the idle up, but I dont want to hide the problem, I'd rather fix it

Any more info about the car would help.

If it is carbed I would check the anti-diesel solenoid. As for spfi or mpfi. might still be a vacuum leak or a bad sensor.

Hush

sorry, I can't believe I left out the info, hehe

85 ea81 2wd automatic, carbed

how do I check the anti diesel solenoid? what exactly am I checking for?

The solenoid is located on the top side of the carb. It is a hex shaped tube that screws into the top, and has a wire going to it. The solenoid should have power when the key is turned on, (check at the connector near the back of the carb), and should make a click when you first turn the key on.

I would also take some carb cleaner and spray the outside of the carb off, and then start the car and spray moderately into the throat of the carb keeping the engine rpm's up, to clean some of the deposits out of the inside.

Hush