Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the wagon died!

Ok so this morning at 2:00 am, Josh and I (he owns the wagon) were coming home for lunch and had a little bit of fun in the snow before we left... anyways, so we get about 1/4 mile from work heading home and it starts to die like the rpms started to drop and so I downshifted and let the clutch out. It did it again but then it kicked back up like it was going to run but then continued to drop rpms. I got it in a parking lot and it seemed like it was getting fuel since I could smell it but would just crank over. It almost started once but that was a lost cause... The car is an '81 2wd wagon, '86 EA81 with the '81 carb and whatnot (feedback carb), and is all stock BUT I did throw my Accel Superstock coil from my Brat into it. I think the coil finally died so it lost spark. I'm gonna try and put the stock coil back in it but is there anything else I should do? Oh and there about 4" of snow on the ground too and below freezing temps so no "side-of-the-road" repairs:rolleyes:

i had the same problem it was disty related

having the accel coil will stress the ign module in the disty. this left me stranded at a gas station over night. the next morning i got it started with a jump but it died when i pulled out. i swapped the stock coil back in and managed to get home

i would think the ign module got hot and temprarily failed till it coiiled off.

try swapping the stock coil and try again, not because the accel is bad, but it may be too hard on the ign module.

Allow me to point out the most obvious... Is the gas gauge functioning properly?

Duh I know this. The car only has 90k miles on it I mean I'm not stupid guys sheesh! I got it back to my house. I got to the car and it fired right up. Must have gremlins in it or something I guess....

Try putting a bottle of Heet or such in the gas tank. I've noticed my cars run a lot better in the winter with gas line dryer in them. It's worth the $0.80 or so a bottle is to try. Especially with a carb, you don't have a lot of fuel pressure, and a semi-frozen fuel filter or such can cause some nice problems.

-=Russ=-

well it died again leaving my g/f's house and so in the cold and the dark, I kinda poked around under the hood to see if I could find anything loose/disconnected. Well I tried the plugwires and low and behold, the disty cap wiggles around but both clips are on it and I couldn't get the dang thing off. SO, I'm gonna swap the disty out with the other one I have with the new plugwires and crap like that tomorrow but now, I'm cold, tired, and wish my g/f was here:(

I fired up my new 84 DL this morning to head down to work and the damn thing just was not keeping it's rrrs. I have made a short list of things to do to these old subbies if they run but not well:

Spark Plugs, just go and spend the ten bucks.

Ignition Rotor, replacing this will force you to examine the disty.

Air Filter, sometime over looked.

Oil Change, you would be suprised by the difference of a good synthetic.

Fuel Filter, always good

New Fuses, even if it looks okay doesn't mean it is.

Fuel Cleaner - Carb Cleaner, a four day project worth doing.

Okay, so fifty bucks later a have a car that is drive worthy! I found the problem, air filter and two spark plugs looked toast. The price might seem high but I think it is a good list for other people to use in our situation. Even though yours didn't cost a dime.:-p

well last night I went to drive it back to my g/f's house from where it had died the previous night and I got it turned around and almost in front of her front gate and it died again so I'm gonna swap in the extra disty I have since it worked fine in my Brat when I pulled it and I also had the Accel coil hooked up to it as well. I'm gonna do that today along with put the tranny in the RX:rolleyes: