Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Consumption on 2000 Forester

I am bit dissapointed with the gas usage on my 2000 Forester, and I find some contradicting information on what the fuel consumption is (by the book). I get around 11.5L/100Km driving mostly on highways. Let me add that my beauty has a standard transmission. I have recently replaced spark plugs, air, and fuel filter, and the O2 sensor, but that did not affect my mpg.

1. Is anybody aware of any related recalls on the model?

2. Any ideas on how I can leave less $ at the gas stations.

3. Can you please post your Forester's mpg (what is the unit by which the gas is sold in the US - imperial or US gallon?).

Your comments much appreciated. Greetings to everybody on the forum.

R. :rolleyes:

I am bit dissapointed with the gas usage on my 2000 Forester, and I find some contradicting information on what the fuel consumption is (by the book). I get around 11.5L/100Km driving mostly on highways. Let me add that my beauty has a standard transmission. I have recently replaced spark plugs, air, and fuel filter, and the O2 sensor, but that did not affect my mpg.

1. Is anybody aware of any related recalls on the model?

2. Any ideas on how I can leave less $ at the gas stations.

3. Can you please post your Forester's mpg (what is the unit by which the gas is sold in the US - imperial or US gallon?).

Your comments much appreciated. Greetings to everybody on the forum.

R. :rolleyes:

Gee..........someone else with the same problems as my 2000 Forester.

I replaced the fuel filter, plugs, PVC valve, air filter, FRONT 02 sensor. I'm still only getting 14-15 MPG in city driving. We do use special winter gas here in Philadelphia so I'm waiting until spring to talk to my independent mechanic.

Someone told me to replace the throttle position sensor but that's an expensive part just to see what will happen.

I'm clueless at this point. Everyone tells me I should be getting higher MPG's.

~Howard

:banghead:

Canadian winter fuels are oxygenated and contain less BTU's per litre, and account for a mileage drop in the winter. Also, the cold contributes to some additional driveline resistance, more idling, and in some cases a loss of efficiency thanks to slightly lower operating temps. Most Canucks I know see a drop in their economy in the winter.

Our own 2001 Forester AT has seen mileages as bad as 14L/100kms in cold weather, but typically gets 10.0 in city driving. Big difference, but nothing to be concerned about unless the mileage remains poor.

Also, how fast are you driving on the highway? The boxy Forester starts to really use more fuel at 125km/h and above. I did a round trip to Jasper this last weekend and baely dropped below 140km/h in our OBW, and got 10.0 on the highway! It usually gets 8.0, sometimes even better. A 20%+ penalty for the extra speed. I expect the Forester would suffer even worse for fast driving.