Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maby I shouldn't have gone through that puddle

Well I just got finished with my FI conversion on my 87gl last weekend. So fri night I thought I would go out with my buddies and go to our little 4X spot lite a fire and have some beers. I had 3 passengers in my car and we were cruzing all over. The new FI kicks a$$ All of the steep hills that my car would dog with one passenger it flew up with three. Anyway it hasn't been raining around here very much so I assumed the puddles were all shallow enough to go through. So... I attempted one thinking.... Woops... I new I wasn't doing so well when there was a Tital wave over my windshield. Instantly the car hydralocked and died. Metalica was playing on the stereo as the inside of the car filled up with water. Then the guy behind me wispers to the other guy sitting next to him "my seat is under water". I could feel my feet getting wet so we all climbed out the windows sat on the roof and had some beers and waited for Gunslinger. Gunslinger, was on the way out to meet us and he stopped by our local autoparts store and bought another tow strap cause we forgot one. And of course a camera to photograph my shame. Well I was watching the water fill up on the inside up to about a inch below the fuse box. And a couple below the computer. One of my buddie lost at rock paper sicsors and so he had to go swiming. Got er pulled out ,pulled the plugs dried the disti some cranking, towed the car so the nose was uphill (to let the water drain out of the exhaust). Did some more cranking, she finaly started just before the bat died. Needless to say the bonfire idea was out. I hate puddles. I never liked them. I dont mind the small ones that are here and there. But the ones big enough to stock with rainbow trout I don't like. Thank God I have a carpet cleaning company, I do flood restoration also. Didn't think my soob was going to need it ever. Well that was my fri night.

Yeah, I went through a huge puddle in my turbo wagon. It was kind of a crevace between bedrock, filled with water. So my passenger side wheel fell right in and the turbo and intake went right underwater. That put the nail in the coffin for that car. It sat for 2 weeks with water in the motor cause we couldnt get back up into the woods to save it (the rivers were running to strong to cross due to heavy rain). Amazingly there were no bullet holes :brow:

Hey that's a great story and well written. I like how you work in the carpet cleaning bit there at the end. I wonder if the puddle adventure could be tax deductable as a buisiness expense, you know like as an advertising stunt for carpet cleaning? If you can get those carpets and seats clean, you're a better carpet cleaner than me. After my first float and sink puddle adventure, I had to rip out the carpets and tar mats and bleach the floor boards and it still smells like mud and bog water. But it's replacing bearings that took the fun out of it for me. Throw out bearings, rear main seal, wheel bearings, diff bearings... After the second or third time changing bearings the deep water submarine action just wasn't as fun anymore. Boat trailer bearing grease is the way to go.