Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Timming Mark

Thanks for those that showed me where the Timming mark was at. I now have another question.

After trying to line up the timming mark and then running the timming light , I found that there is 2 TDC marks on this flywheel. One has the 10 A 0 B 10 marks on it and the other side of the flywheel has only a line going through it. I can not time this car using the first timming marks. It only works using the single line and so I have to guess where to time it at. I just guessed it to be about the 8 degres BTDC . The Distribator will not turn enough to use the timming marks that are stamped on the flywheel. (10 A 0 B 10)

Any ideas why there is 2 timming marks and why the stamped settings will not work? Oh these marks are about 180 degress or straight accross from each other.

Just a little confused here!

Sounds like the distributor was not stabed in properly. Roll the engine by hand over to 8 BTDC and pop the dizzy cap off. Rotor should be pointing pretty much to #1. If it's not then you need to pull the dizzy out and restab it. Get it as close as possible and then try to time it with the light. Might take a few stabs to get it just right; the teeth are a taiperd mesh so the rotor pivots a little as you slide it in making it harder.

Dizzy= Distributor? So if it isn't pointing to the #1 Plug I need to pull out the distributor and replace it until the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug? Wouldn't the car not run if it was that far off? I haven't ever done this before, but I thought if the distributor was put in that far off the car wouldn't run.

correct, dizzy = distributor

what kind of car is this? carbed I assume, by the 8* btdc timing

I guess it should be clarified that the disty could point at either cylinder #1 or #2 (Or whatever is 180* from #1, remember, firing order is 1, 3, 2, 4)

the reason is it depends where that cylinder is in the cycle.

you're correct, I don't think the car would run if it were way off. Although, I do recall reading a post a while ago where the car was bought with the disty 180* off, and the plug wires rearranged to make it (kinda) run.

it might be that the original marks you found on the flywheel are where you line it up to do the timing belts.

Although, I do recall reading a post a while ago where the car was bought with the disty 180* off, and the plug wires rearranged to make it (kinda) run.

A possibility, yes.

Check fire order also. Someone might have put it in 180 off then rearranged the fire order to make it work.... or they thought they knew what the fire order was, setup the dizzy and wires then kept stabing it untill it finally started (180 degrees off).

Ok well I will check the rotor in the morning. As for the fireing order, It looked correct to me when I tried to time it. Carb yes! Here is what I saw when I looked in the cover over the flywheel.

Top |

|

Bottom 10 A 0 B 10

Now picture this a a round flywheel. When I turned it I found the line on one side and the timming marks on the opisite side.

The car runs ok, but not as strong as I think it should. There is a little backfire when shifting out of 2nd. I can punch it on a slight hill and it will maybe go 60. Takes a lot of gas pedel to get it up to speed, 55. Raps out at 20 in first, 35 in second and then 55 in third.

Ok guys, I went back and found I am an idiot. When I timed the car the other day(laugh now) I used the #3 plug wire. 180 degrees off.