Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering problem? Maybe...! Help!

88 DL wagon - Strange problem happened a couple of times. Thought it was the power steering fluid being low but it was not. Seems like it only happens after driving for a while above 75mph. When you slow down there is this shuttering that feels like the front left wheel is being restrained or that the power steering is kicking in and out. Not sure really how to describe it but hopefully this means something to someone. You can feel the steering wheel shuttering when you try to change lanes thinking the wheel is about to fall off!!! PLEASE let me know what you think.

-Chris

it sounds like your front brake discs are warped, they need to be "turned" by a shop, and new brake pads installed - if they tell you you need to replace your discs, get ones of good quality (OEM or top-of-the-line name brand) cheap rotors will warp VERY easily, and are NOT good

they typically warp when they get wet when hot - actually it is a fairly common problem on all cars

tire imbalances will be noticed at varying speeds. sometimes you will feel it at 50 mph and it goes away at 60 just to return at 70 mph

try rotating the wheels front to back, or swithc the front wheels around and see if the vibration is on the other side. doing this will prove or eliminate a wheel imbalance

also mud or snow in the rim will throw the wheel off balance so check inside the rims too

If I drive at 55 or 65 it never does it. It does not do it at 75 either. It will only do it after driving over 75 for awhile and then returning to a normal 55 or 65 it still does not do it for about a minute of driving at the reduced speed. Once it starts if you continue driving at the same speed it just goes away after about 20 to 30 seconds. I will examine and rotate the wheels it just feels like something else is going on. I appriciate the quick reply.