Ultimate Subaru Message Board

[urgent help needed] rear diff disassembly

I am swapping the innards of a welded 3.7 into a 3.9. Am following the LSD swap instructions but need to know what size socket I need for the little bolts inside the stub axels so that I can remove them. I *think* they're 8mm but I don't have a socket long enough to reach ( or an extension bar that fits inside ) and I want to make sure before I go and buy one.

I am swapping the innards of a welded 3.7 into a 3.9. Am following the LSD swap instructions but need to know what size socket I need for the little bolts inside the stub axels so that I can remove them. I *think* they're 8mm but I don't have a socket long enough to reach ( or an extension bar that fits inside ) and I want to make sure before I go and buy one.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19156&highlight=rearend+torx+socket

Thanks. Something tells me I'm gonna have no luck finding one till after the easter stuff is over. I tried an 8mm which would have worked but I don't have a ratchet strong enough to be banged with a hammer.

to make matters worse the 3.7 welded diff has obviously been taken apart before as the bolts for them are rounded .. so I'm not sure how I'll deal with that :/