Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a Funny story, and a question about 3AT tranny vent location on LOYAlE...............

I have a 1991 loyal that was in a ladies yard here in colebrook Ct.. "tranny blown" according to the owner.. got it for 50 bucks.. body is exceptional and 4WD works great..interior excellent..would not shift out of first gear, but shifted into 2nd with stick control lever.. put in a new Vacuum modulator for 40 bucks, wires, plugs, fuel filter, air filter.. complete tranny flush by a dealer, then took out a pint of fluid via a tube and small electric pump in the tranny fluid stick.. car runs great and shifts great..grand total , about 300 bucks! . only problem? there is pressure building up in the tranny.. after you drive a while, if you pull the dipstick to the tranny, fluid will blast out.. I need to know if there is an exploded diagram of this transmission that I can locate the tranny vent, or if anyone here might know where the vent is located.. I will kiss the soles of the first person who can help me.. oh, by the way, it snowed here a couple days ago.. for fun, I thought I would try drivin the car in 4WD over the snow plowed up on the side of the road by our local plow trucks.. it was about 15 inches deep and very heavy, wet snow.. this car went through it like a hot knife through a stick of butter! will I sell this prize?? Not a chance!! please help with the vent question!! thanks/ FGUG

The vent appears to be on the differential section, about even with the most rearward bolt of the governor but just on the other side of the case's centerline. (Look where the ATF filler tube bolts to the tranny at the diff/main case joint, and the vent is just forward and above that.)

I hope this helps.