Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tough winter, ruined someting

Hey everyone

As nice as it is to see everyones post again, it could only mean one thing...My car is on its way to being on the side of the road some thursday morning on my way to work...

So, I need to fix the problem..Hopefull, you guys can help me solve it...

I was driving down the hellish road I live on the other day...Dirt road..potholes as big as dogs, and somedays, mud 8 inches deep...And the winter was torture on the car...

ok..sorry...Im babbling..

While I was driving the other day...suddenly, I started to hear a swoosh swoosh sound that was coming from the passenger side of the car...sounded like the front but not sure..Up untl this...the only problems I had were a shaking when I would apply my brakes at a high speed...

Oddly enough..now, when I brake, not only does the sound go away..but there is no shaking...and when I turn lefft the sound also goes away...

I am to assume from what I have read that it is the wheel bearing..

Does that sound like a correct assesment?

thanks...any other comments would be greatly appreciated

Chris

Hi. Guys with more experience and expertise than than me will chime in here before long, but since I'm here I'll offer my limited experience.

I had "swoosh swoosh" and shaking for a while on my 85 GL wagon for a while. This turned out to be a combination of a warped rotor AND a slightly bent rim. Turned out to the inside of the rim, so when I blocked up the car and spun the front wheels, I couldn't spot it with my homemade "dial indicator". I got rid of the "swoosh" by replacing the rotor. While I was at it I swapped calipers with fresher ones, new ball joints, bearings, tie rod ends and swaybar bushings. No more swoosh. But still had the shakes a little at certain speeds. Thats when I set up the indicator, which was a large round of fire wood, with a board laying flat and the point a half inch from the rim. The outside of the rim my eye told me was running true. But I could see tire was not. So off to Les Schwab, since they were their tires. Their ballancing computor found the tweaked rim. Put it on the back of the car, no more shakes. Everything is peachy now. Though sometimes I think MAYBE I can feel that little bit of shimmy coming from the rear.

So since youve been dealing with lots of big potholes, I'd worry about rims as far as the earlier shaking goes. Why it's gone now, don't know. But the swoosh sure sounds like maybe rotor to me, or some combination of the two.

Are your bearings of some known mileage? A way to access bad bearing is to jack up the front, and see if have any slack vertically in the wheel. Grasp the tire high and low and try to rock it in and out. if there is any play at all, it's a problem and bearings need atention. Also check your castle nut if you havn't. Shaking and shimmy can be anything from bearings to tie rod ends, ball joints, castle nut loose, warped rotor, uh, thers probably more.

Good luck, and hope this helps even a little, and does not confuse

Pyromanic

Hey everyone

As nice as it is to see everyones post again, it could only mean one thing...My car is on its way to being on the side of the road some thursday morning on my way to work...

So, I need to fix the problem..Hopefull, you guys can help me solve it...

I was driving down the hellish road I live on the other day...Dirt road..potholes as big as dogs, and somedays, mud 8 inches deep...And the winter was torture on the car...

ok..sorry...Im babbling..

While I was driving the other day...suddenly, I started to hear a swoosh swoosh sound that was coming from the passenger side of the car...sounded like the front but not sure..Up untl this...the only problems I had were a shaking when I would apply my brakes at a high speed...

Oddly enough..now, when I brake, not only does the sound go away..but there is no shaking...and when I turn lefft the sound also goes away...

I am to assume from what I have read that it is the wheel bearing..

Does that sound like a correct assesment?

thanks...any other comments would be greatly appreciated

Chris

A bad bearing will usually give you a more severe sound than a "swoosh", however check the following:

Jack up tha car and feel for play in the wheel. A very small amount of play is fine - so much that you can see the wheel move when you jiggle it is not.

If there is excessive play, check the hub (castle) nut for tightness. If its not loose, replace your bearings.

If there is no play, it sounds like a warped rotor or bent wheel could be your problem as mentioned earlier. Also check for things like out of place splash guards, or a bent stone guard (the guard on the side of your disk rotor).