Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 (EA81) Wagon GL Automatic

Greetings,

I have a 1982 Wagon GL Automatic (seems rare these days) thats a great little car. I got it from my mother and have been using it while my mazda is in the shop (long, long story). Its eventually going to goto my Father-in-law who lives with us so he can take my daugther to and from daycare, get around the town, etc.

I did a bit of searching on google, USMB and a few other places on a few questions and issues I have came across. Its an FWD EA81 and while I'm not neccessaily new to Horizontal Aligned engines (my wife had a 91 Subaru Wagon) it is my first venture of the Carb'd Subarus. Its an Automatic Trans which seems to be pretty rare around here but still shifts smoothly. It only has 73k miles on it (all original, my mother was the 2nd owner and has had it for the past 3 years) and runs real good. I've had the fuel pump replaced (died at 65) for her along with the usual tuneups (new belts, plugs, wires, dist cap, pcv valve, etc.).

First, I'm not sure if this applies to me but I think I hear the 'tick of death' from the engine. Its the metallic sound that gets faster when you hit the gas and could be the valves, do anyone know if the '82 EA81 has hydrolic lifters or not?

Second, is there a 'dash kit' for the stereo. I noticed the speakers are common ground (its a 2spk setup) so its not a big deal to wire something in myself. I just don't want to cut the dash to peices to fit a new stereo in there since the interior is still in very good condition. The old radio doesn't work at all my guess being blown speakers or dead connections (its getting power and thats about it).

Third, the optional A/C is installed but blows hot. The compressor turns fine and activates/deactivates as it should I just don't have any equipment for R12 systems to check pressure and such. I do have a gauge for R134a but its a cheap one for simple preassure check, not the dual hose/gauge type. If it needs more R12, I'll get the system flushed and have the system checked. How easy (or rather, would I need to get all new equip) is it to convert? I know of some R12 systems that are simple and some require a whole new compressor, evap and such.

Forth, I'm getting a 'growling' when getting up to 50mph and slowing down to a stop. I'm thinking its a wheel bearing going bad but just wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas for me to check.

I can get my way around cars, done a couple of engine swaps with friends (Old Taurus w/cracked block and an 85 Camaro) but learned if I didn't know the answers and couldn't find them myself, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks

About the 'tick of death,' first determine if the sound is in the top end of the engine or down below. Hopefully, it's on top.

If you adjust the valves properly, and it still does a bit of a ticking, and you know it IS in the top end, you could try this:

Change out to a good 20-50 oil, and use a quart of one of the really good additives, not STP. You've seen this stuff, looks like honey coming out of the big bottle. Works for me in some other vehicles, haven't tried it in a Subaru yet, but I will.

Quote:

I'm getting a 'growling' when getting up to 50mph and slowing down to a stop. I'm thinking its a wheel bearing going bad but just wanted to see if anyone else had some ideas for me to check.

I have heard if you are coasting in neutral at fifty and it's making the noise, it will diminish when you put on the brakes, if it's the wheel bearing. Something about relieving the load for a moment...

while I dont have an 82 EA81 wagon 3AT GL, I do have an 82 EA81 sedan 3AT GL. I bought it with 96k and its now sitting at 217k.

These do not have hydraulic lifters. I am very familiar with the tick in this motor, and I wouldnt go so far as to say its a tick of death, more a tick of its working. However, I would adjust the valve lash, which will quiet it up a bit and make it run cooler, and more efficient.

As to the growling, could be a wheel bearing (which seems likely since it occurs at two speed/rpm ranges), But, mine thrums/growls at freeway speeds, which is all tranny noise (diff mainly, its old and never had anything replaced in the diff or tranny in 217k miles).

There are a lot of noises that these trannies will make since the cruise RPM is so high (mine is 65mph=3900rpm, yours should be a little higher on the rpm, as the gear ratio to the final drive isnt overdriven in the wagons).

I would definately get all the wheel bearings checked out, and if any are even suspected of being worn I would replace them pronto. It is very easy to do and I did them having never done it before.

Good luck,

Alex