Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hitachi question

the accelerator pump in my carbrator died, it's a 2bbl hatachi, what usallaly kills them, and are they pretty much, rebuild the carb to fix?

I would just scrap the Hitachi and get a weber ... I have not had the same problem, but I have had a problem that has persisted even though I have rebuilt the carb I have and one from the JY.

So now I am getting a weber for more power since I am also lifting the brat and putting on some 27" Kumho mudders, and I will need the extra power.

The Hitachi's aren't as scary as they look (mine is an '85 so it has the max in emissions gear) so don't be a fraid to take the top off :burnout:

They are easy to take apart, but I have one that the accelerator pump will not work. I took it apart and found that the check valve seat was severely disfigured. This is located right next to the accel. pump. The accel. pump pushes fuel to a tower right next to it, this tower has a brass weight with a fine taper on it and acts as a check valve. If the seat is trashed, the carb is trashed. It is pressed into the housing and has a hole that is only a couple of thousanths. I see no way to remove it or even find a replacement seat.

You may be lucky and have just a torn/worn seal on the accel. pump plunger which is an easy fix. If it's trashed, go to a Weber or buy a rebuilt Hitachi (what I did) Advance Auto Parts sells them for around $300. It hurts the wallet, but worth every penny when you turn the key!

I noticed also that the top of the little chamber that has the check valve must be sealed at the top in order to force the fuel through the squiter orifice, if it is not sealed the fuel just goes over and you get no squirt. The bowl to carb top gasket is the cover for it and I've seen several be the problem on accelerator pump not working .

They are easy to take apart, but I have one that the accelerator pump will not work. I took it apart and found that the check valve seat was severely disfigured. This is located right next to the accel. pump. The accel. pump pushes fuel to a tower right next to it, this tower has a brass weight with a fine taper on it and acts as a check valve. If the seat is trashed, the carb is trashed. It is pressed into the housing and has a hole that is only a couple of thousanths. I see no way to remove it or even find a replacement seat.

You may be lucky and have just a torn/worn seal on the accel. pump plunger which is an easy fix. If it's trashed, go to a Weber or buy a rebuilt Hitachi (what I did) Advance Auto Parts sells them for around $300. It hurts the wallet, but worth every penny when you turn the key!

If it's trashed, go to a Weber or buy a rebuilt Hitachi (what I did) Advance Auto Parts sells them for around $300. It hurts the wallet, but worth every penny when you turn the key!

Yikes!! $300 for the Hitachi?!?! :eek:

Man ... if your gonna spend that kinda money, why not just get a weber for $80 - 100 more? :banana:

A rebuild is simple, just use a repair manual for a guide.

The kits only come with the accelerator pump, and needle/seat, and gaskets anyway. Just clean everything as good as you can, adjust the float properly, and take the carb off the car so you don't drop anything inside the engine!

Now and again you can find a deal on Webers and Hitachi's on Ebay.

frankie is right.super simple......a hint, if you are rebuilding it and you get frustrated , do not stop, just take a breath and continue on.that way you do not get lost in a diagram somewhere and do not have a carb anymore.(know this from experience)just be patient and rebuild it.if you have problems , let me know and i can rebuild one for you.just for your cost .i enjoy it.

The kits only come with the accelerator pump, and needle/seat, and gaskets anyway. Just clean everything as good as you can, adjust the float properly, and take the carb off the car so you don't drop anything inside the engine!

Now and again you can find a deal on Webers and Hitachi's on Ebay.Yesterday 10:00 PM