Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Trany Issues a little help please

OK a little help here would be awsome.

so i put another trany in the 88Turbo wagon. 4AT(yep 4 speed auto).

the old trany had had the rear drive line broken out of it (slopy ujoint broke) anyway that was the priviouse owner.

so anyway i put in the new trany and it shifts really hard. as in...

1st gear WOT it reves to the shift point and when it shifts it spins the front tires about 3 turns of the wheels. this is an AWD trany NOT 4X4. im lost as to why its shifting this hard..........

any ideas

So, you have a 4EAT. I haven't had to trouble-shoot mine yet, although I do have a hard-shift from 1st-to-2nd but not on the scale of yours.

Did you get all of the connectors reconnected? There are some power-dropping resistors on the passenger(?)-side fender, but I think that if these are not functioning right you still shouldn't get a wheel-spinning shift.

Any history on this replacement tranny?

Just because it is "AWD" doesn't meant that there is any power being transferred to the rear wheels. The 4EAT uses a clutch-pack for the transfer function, and it is normally not engaged. I imagine that whatever control glitch is causing the bad shifting behavior could also be causing the lack of rear-wheel engaging.

Any possibility that the TCU got damaged?