Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little bummed. #1 spark plug is xthreaded.

I was adjusting my valves on my '82 GL last week. When I tookthe plugs out I noticed that #1 didn't take many turns to get out. When I finished the job and went to put it back in I found out why. Its xthreaded. This car only has 73K on it and I only paid $400 for it. Not sure how long the previous owner had been running it this way. Am I screwed? How easy are those sleeve kits to fix it? Anyone done it recently? Thanks for the help.

Yep, I've done it. I wasn't very confident that it would work, but that was about 30K ago. Bought the kit at Schucks and just followed the directions. With the exception that when I was sure the helicoil would go in smoothly I put a couple of drops of JBWeld on it before I put it in and let it cure for an hour or so. Don't use too much, just enough for some bonding between the head and the insert, not enough that it will squeeze through the insert and get on the threads of the plug. Then be sure to use anti-sieze on the plugs. I've since removed the plug a couple of times, just to make sure the insert stays put.

A similar thing happened to my #1 plug although it took many many turns to remove the stripped plug with a breaker bar.

I bought both a thread cleaner tool and the helicoil kit. Thread cleaner is a threaded bolt with divots that you can pack with grease to catch the filings. Use carb cleaner solvent with a toothbrush to clean the crud out.

It has held for a year, probably time for a new plug if I can get it out...

Haven't needed the helicoil kit...if you need it crank #1 to BDC (valves closed) and try filling the chamber with shaving cream to catch the chips and then crank again to pump them out (compression stroke) Make sure its not an exhaust stroke (valves open) Search for the firing order...can't remember

BTW, another trick in case you aren't aware of it is to use a piece of hose when installing the plugs. Push the plug insulator into the hose (about 12" - 18" long) and use it to thread the plug into the hole. You can't crossthread one this way, cuz' the hose doesn't hold it tight enough, but it's tight enough to run them in most of the way, and keeps your hands away from the hot stuff. Takes a bit of practice, since most hoses have a bit of a curve, but it works.