Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many bolts?

I'm pulling my engine out of my 83 brat turbo. I was wondering how many bolts to remove where the engine and flywheel meet(I thinks it called the flywheel the part in front of the drive axles)? Also if you can tell me where the bolts are located? Just like to say thank you I couldn't of done any of this with out USMB. As you can tell I'm no motor head.

Thanks

Kevin

And...

I assume that you have the automatic transmission still. 4 bolts IIRC that hold the torque converter to the flexplate... should be accessible through the timing hole. You can pull the torque converter with the engine, but you MUST reinstall with the torque converter properly mounted on the transmission or tranny damage WILL result.

The torque converter is the big steel toroid (doughnut-shaped) that the starting ring-gear is part of. The flexplate is a thin, sheetmetal disk that bolts to the crank (just like a flywheel) and to the torque converter near its periphery.