Ultimate Subaru Message Board

full time 4wd brumby

hey hows everybody goin ive got and rx coupe and the body is stuffed on it but the gear box is mint i dont know much about rx coupes but it has a 5speed in it and it has an eletronic diflock in it in think ive been thinking of puttin this gear box and rear dif into my brumby with my rebuilt and worked ea82t full time 4wd drive would be sic you would be able to throw it into the mean corners at high speed. its just gota be able to keep up wif my brothers rs and ill be happy. any info and help would be great are the mounts much different from the standad hi low 4wd gearbox and if it is eletronic dif lock could i put i switch on the steering wheel to do the mad launches.. cheers any input would be greatly appresiated. patt.

it will fit on the same tranny crossmember. you will hae to transfer the driveshaft from the rx as its a 2 piece and lengthed right for the tranny. a mount will have to be made for the carrier bearing

the rear diff will have to be swapped for the correct gear ratio, plus its limited slip

the axle splines on the tranny will be different, so you will either have to change out the tranny stubs or make some combination of axle parts which is still yet undiscovered, the rx axles wont fit in the brat because they are too long and wont fit without relocating the lower control arm mount and retrofitting the rx lower control arm and making custom strut tops and tie rod modifications

someone here should know of where to get a custom axle made to fit so if thats the case then the rught combo of stock parts may work, but you willneed all kinds of different examples to explore building a custom axle

you could very well cut the axles in half and weld the rx axle inner ends to the brat outer ends but hardened steel that is welded will be weakened

a;so fir the diff lock its actuated by a vacuum servo under the hood, you will see it it has green fittings and has vac lines from the diaphragm on the tranny

it can be acuated with a double pole double throw switch, or 2 switches oriented opposite but thrown the same direction, as power to one side engages the lock and power to the other side disengages it

the diff lock when locked behaves like the old tranny in 4wd mode