Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adjusting the carb

after I did my timing belts, the men (that had had a few beers too many while they watched me :rolleyes: ) decided they wanted to adjust my carb (stock). I told them not to mess with it, but they did anyhow..... I was wondering if there was a certain setting on the air/fuel mixture screw (assuming that is what that screw is in the front of the carb to the right of the idle screw). They turned it all the way in and then out 2 turns, and then adjusted the idle. I wanted to make sure that was right because it was turned out like 5 turns before they adjusted it.......

Is the car idling fairly well? Is the exhaust really stinky? If "yes" and "no", then they are probably pretty close. You can't really do it "properly" (per EPA) without the equipment and procedures that Subaru specifies. but you can sure get it close enough.

Usual procedure is to adjust for highest idle, then go a little bit lean from there. A problem could arise if you have "old school" mechanics that remember pre-EPA carbs and don't know what they are adjusting. EPA-era idle mixture screws operate backwards to pre-EPA ones.