Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK

The Subaru mechanic is back after his 5-week vacation (you mechanics in the U.S. should consider setting-up shop here...). We took the car in and he checked it out. Bad alternator as orginially thought. The alternator repair man will now rebuild it (since he sent the core back already). Then we'll try it again.

It is nice to know that it wasn't me who was the problem...

I guess we all know now that a bad or wrong alternator can do funky things to the idle.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sweden

Living in Lund, eh?

I am just across the strait in Copenhagen! I can't understand that it would easier to source parts from the states?

My local dealer gets all his parts from the distributor, which is in Sweden :confused:

Anyway, next time you have trouble we should consider meeting up. I have plenty of good tools and experience.

Hej Setright!

I took the car with me from the U.S. back in 1999. There seem to be numerous differences between the US versions and the rest of the world, UNFORTUNATELY! One of them is the electrical system. The mechanic here (Conny Flynn Bilservice) says that he can order an alternator from Japan for 5000 SEK. I'd like to not spend all that money if I can come up with an alternative way (e.g. an envelope with parts from the US).

I'll be in Copenhagen for week 35 (29th - 2nd). Unfortunately, it is a for a course that will keep me busy from morning to night...

Actually, I have bought a house in Eslöv now. That was our previous real estate price conversation... I work at Lund University.

Sweden

Aha, a grey import. I understand the problem now.

When you're over here, keep an eye out for a blue mica 1999 Impreza "Sport". That'll be me :D

A cinch really, if I am parked you'll notice the discrete Nurburgring sticker on my trunk lid, and if moving you should hear screeching :burnout:

• 5 weeks later...

This thread has now ended...

Last night we installed the original alternator with rebuilt parts from the U.S. and it runs like normal again. No uneven idle; no problems. The moral of the story is that electrical systems (or at least alternators) are different in Indiana-built vehicles than in Japanese-built ones even though the part numbers matched. This is something that my alternator guy couldn't even figure out.

It's nice to have the vehicle back in proper running order; now I can wait for the next issue to pop up.

Thanks for all the responses to this thread. It has been a learning experience.

Sweden