Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is 240 degree's too hot for my EA81?

Guest SubaruJunkie

Guest SubaruJunkie

It was above 100 out today, on the drive home, i noticed my temp guage got real close to 240 degree's F.

Is that anywhere close to overheating?

-Brian

Guest oobnuker

Don't know for sure. But if it makes you feel any better, I had an '87 Dodge Daytona Pacifica Turbo with the 2.2 Turbo I engine that ran all day long at 230 degrees...

Guest oobnuker

Yeah but - a lot of cars electrical fans don't even come on until the temperature is measured at 230 degrees.

PLUS - by having the system under pressure the boiling point is raised significantly.

Just something to think about.

Guest Flowmastered87GL

212 is boiling point for WATER, not an antifreeze/water mix I beleve its freezing and boiling points are changed significantly by 50/50 or 70/30 mixes

Guest Flowmastered87GL

when my 86 reached 240 I considered it to be overheating and stopped and let it cool... turned out a hose had blown, so good think I watched the guage and didnt toast the engine (again)

Guest SubaruJunkie

I need to slap a radiator in there. It will have to wait until next week :(

Skip? You see this yet?

-Brian

Guest UltimateRX

I would consider 240 degrees too hot, but then I run a turbo engine. As for water boiling at 212 degrees, that is at normal air pressure, your cooling system is pressurized and therefore that water has a much higher boiling point. Under enough pressure, water can remain fluid and get hot enough to melt rock.

Guest jibber

"water can remain fluid and get hot enough to melt rock."

so is that easier or tougher to melt than aluminum? :rollin:

Guest SubaruJunkie

So does that mean my car is overheating?? Can somebody just run outside with their EA81 warmed up, stick a thermometer in the radiator and tell me the normal operating temps for a EA81 once warmed up?

I feel like im pissing in the wind... blind.

-Brian

Guest subieman

Okay Brian I installed a after-market temp gauge on my 84 Hatchback. It's running 185-190 degrees on the freeway, 195-200 degrees city driving and about 210 degrees at idle. Hope that helps.

Guest SubaruJunkie

Great, thanks... that helps alot. My car never runs at a steady 180 or 195.... but now i dont feel bad when i cruise and it sits at 200 steady.

Thanks Jeremy.

Now make the car overheat! :) and tell me how hot it gets when it overheats.

-Brian

Guest UltimateRX

Alot of the running temp seems to be related to the degree of thermostat that is installed. I have had three different temperature thermostats in the same car and they always seem to run (at freeway speeds) a little over the temperature of the thermostat. What the 195 in there, it ran at 200 to 210 on the freeway, with the 180 in there, it ran at 195 to 200 on the freeway, and with the 165 in there, it runs at 180 on the freeway. I never noticed any change in performance because of the lower temp thermostat in there.

Guest baccaruda

does anyone have the exact dimensions of an EA82 radiator? I want to go fan shopping :D

EDIT

also, where does "hot" start to become "too hot"?

Guest UltimateRX

Well, today it got to 95 degrees on the way home, so I was watching the temp guage. When I was pulling up a long hill at freeway speeds (65 to 70 mph, yea I know the speed limit is 60 mph, but nobody was going that speed) that temp got up to 195 degrees, but for the most part, with the A/C going full blast, the temp stayed around 185 degrees.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Before I put the new rad in mine it would spike really fast to one bar into the red. I tested it with a pyrometer one day and it came out to a little over 250 degree's. Most cars I've worked on like to stay around 210 and 220, so 230 would be a little on the hot side, although not too bad. With the new radiator mine never gets much over 200, even when it was 110 outside. So yeah Bri, get a new radiator in there, you'll love it. Catch ya Laters.

Guest snotrocket23

When I worked at Ethyl Corporation (purveyor of fine oil and fuel additives), we ran a test called the IIIF. It was a high speed, high temperature oil sludging test. It ran for 80 hours, almost constantly, and a bad test oil could SOLIDIFY :eek: by the end. I mean like fudge.

Anyway, we ran that puppy at 270-300 degrees. Don't remember the exact number, it's been over 2 years. I do know that we couldn't have any water in the cooling system. We ran straight, undyed ethylene glycol @ 20 psi.

That is the kind of severity that every bottle of motor oil sold has to endure.

Eric

Guest SubaruJunkie

Im getting a new rad this week. Probably order it tonight. Does anyone have any recomendations? Looking to have a radiator in my garage by Friday morning.

-Brian

Guest SubaruJunkie

Ok guys and gals... put a new radiator in yesterday and now the car wont go above 205 :) Now, time to get my A/C working.

-Brian

Guest archemitis

its amazing how little heat green fuz will conduct. i use this general rule of thumb. if you can destroy it with a waterhose, its time for a new one.