Ultimate Subaru Message Board

in the average engine in average service. There are always folks who never add any between changes and those like me that add at least a pint or two.

I use a bit more if I run high speed trips. My car does not leak any oil, but it now has 117,000 miles on it.

I like a pint or two of my favorite adult beverage now and then myself so I really can't complain.

Just for amusement value I have seen little if any change in the amount of oil my Subaru uses with the change to Mobil 1 15-50.

• 4 weeks later...
I have a 2005 Outback 2.5 limited and have been using synthetic oil since the first oil change. However, I noticed the car using about 1 1/2 qts every 4000 miles. I drive about 4000 miles per month, mostly interstate.

Is this normal with synthetic?

I have an '00 Outback that I've been putting Mobil1 5/30 in for 60k miles now. No leaks. If you don't see oil on the ground or around the engine, your either burning it or not measuring it correctly. If you're burning a quart every 4k miles, you should be able to see white/blue smoke, particularly at startup, and you should be able to smell it. I suspect you've got the dip-stick blues, like I had. Horizontal engines are tough to measure oil in...

Try this: At next fillup, pop hood and remove dipstic about 2 inches, before filling up. After fill up, pull out dip stick and wipe clean. Replace dipstick and push down until rubber ring below handle is just lightly touching dip stick tube. Pull out and read.

Let me know if this works.

'00 Outback, temporarily enjoying the CA sun.

Try this: At next fillup, pop hood and remove dipstic about 2 inches, before filling up. After fill up, pull out dip stick and wipe clean. Replace dipstick and push down until rubber ring below handle is just lightly touching dip stick tube. Pull out and read.

I check my oil first thing in the morning when it's cold. There is no need to wipe and reinsert, and the car is parked in virtually the same spot so the results are repeatable.

Jack