Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 Pcv

Hi, I have an 89 sportwagon 1.8L EA82 carb'd engine which appears to be having an issue with the PCV valve, I have excessive oil on all plugs and it blows smoke when going down hill in low gear. I believe the valve isn't working and its stuck open but I can't prove it. When I block the pcv the engine stalls after a few seconds, I assume from a lack of Oxygen getting into the chambers.

My gut feeling tells me that if I try to remove the PCV it will crack and I will ruin the inlet manifold, is it possible to simply add another inline PCV to the line and if so does anyone know the specs for the PCV.

Everything else is dandy, I have thought about adding an oil catcher in line with the oil pickup but I don't think thats the end solution. The car also uses a bit more fuel than it should but I think thats expected if it has to balance excessive air flooding in from the PCV.

Any ideas are appreciated

Sounds like high mileage! I can relate to smoking when compression braking, the carb don't like it. Cylinders still need air when revving, even if off throttle (therefore compression braking).The carb doesn't have an air bypass like the spfi. Even at lower mileage long downhills got mine smoking.

Once oil is in cylinders it stays there for some time! try this driving habit:

push in clutch on long downgrades, use your brakes more.It will clean out the whole top end (including intake!).Give pcv system time with this.Changing oil often is good for carbed ea82 also.:) hope this helps.