Ultimate Subaru Message Board

when you all stop laughing....

Does anyone know who produces the Wal-Mart oil? I know their filters are good. I don't use Fram, and after my crap from Jiffy Lube, I think I'll avoid Pennzoil. I've never had oil look so dirty after 3k, and my driving habits didn't change over the last 3k. Quaker State has pretty bottles, maybe I'll try them. Maybe Clamato Juice would work well. :banana:

There have been MANY discussions on other boards. Result, IIFC, Oil is Quaker State.....WalMart Oil Filters are Champion..(Decent filter for $1.97 or 2.97)...Better than a Fram in my Opinion....I did have a Fram problem on a 76 Plymouth Arrrow.....Filter internally destroyed itself....and my motor....Mopar would not fix it, Fram did nothing. I rebuilt it, sold it, and purchased my 1st Subaru, a 77 2 dr DL FWD.....Been in Subaru's since....amd never bought another Fram Product.

I think if the oil is dirty at 3000 miles or otherwise, its because its collected dirt. A big reason why its detergent oil to suspend it and let it clear out when its drained. You probably had a fair bit of grunge in the pan and so forth and with that oil it started cleaning it up. Consider it a bonus.

Ever use the engine flush stuff? You'd be amazed at what comes out of what you thought was a clean engine.

Does anyone know who produces the Wal-Mart oil? I know their filters are good. I don't use Fram, and after my crap from Jiffy Lube, I think I'll avoid Pennzoil. I've never had oil look so dirty after 3k, and my driving habits didn't change over the last 3k. Quaker State has pretty bottles, maybe I'll try them. Maybe Clamato Juice would work well. :banana:

According to the info at Bobistheoilguy.com, there are three manufacturers of SuperTech dino oil: Warren Performance Products-Omaha (midwest), ExxonMobil (east coast, looks like a Mobil bottle), and SOPUS (owners of Pennzoil and Quaker State), mostly west coast. Suspect you are getting the WPP stuff, as we do here in Kansas.

While you are at Walmart, recommend looking at Phillips Trop-Arctic at $1.24-1.28 per qt. It is a dino/synthetic blend at a fairly inexpensive price and is SM rated.

Pete is right.

The Pennzoil is dirty because it's doing a good job of cleaning up what your previous oils left behind.

You are the kind of guy that sees the glass as "half full" Thank you for that insight. I actually didn't think of that. You are most likely correct. I used a can of motor flush when I did my change yesterday. :)