Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Tranny questions...

Ok, so I'll have my new EA81 next week. I'm putting it into my '78 Brat.... Exactly what tranny will work? I want a dual range for sure.. Some pepole are telling me that the D/R 4spd out of a '81 Brat is the only one that will work, on the other hand, some are telling me that any EA81 tranny will work.. I found a good 4spd D/R tranny in a '87 hatchback (EA81) at a yard here around Denver for only $125. Anyone know the exact variations of these trannys (ie. mounting locations, shifter locations, dimensions etc..) also I've gotten mixed answers about the driveshaft and rear diff. Are the diff gear ratios the same as my stock '78 compared to these new EA81 type trannys?

Thanks!!

-Steve

the newer EA81 d/r tannies will fit, the only problem with putting them into a gen 1 is the fact that the shifter mechanisms are in different spots. So A) you can make your own custom shifters for it or B) search for a needle in a haystack to find an '81 Brat with the d/r in it. I have also heard that you would need a steering rack from an '81 Brat to fit a 1800 into it but then I've also heard that you don't. The steering column will be very close to the axleshaft on the drive side though so watch out for it...