Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy 2.2L - Oil Leaking - Please Help!!

I just replaced the timing belt on my 93 Legacy last night. While I was in there I noticed that the oil pump was seeping a bit so I removed it, cleaned the mating surfaces, and reinstalled it with a new O-ring from the dealer and some expensive anaerobic sealant and a new crankshaft seal from Napa Auto Parts. After buttoning everything up the engine fired up perfectly with no apparrent leaks (pheww). However, I was driving down the road today at highway speeds and after about 20 miles I noticed smoke in the rearview mirror. I pulled off at the first exit and stopped to examine things. Oil was leaking everywhere and there was a lot of it. I was very careful with my work and torqued everything to spec according to Haynes (except for the crankshaft pulley which I torqued to 115 ft-lbs per USMB). Has anyone had this happen??? Where should I start??? Please help??

I just replaced the timing belt on my 93 Legacy last night. While I was in there I noticed that the oil pump was seeping a bit so I removed it, cleaned the mating surfaces, and reinstalled it with a new O-ring from the dealer and some expensive anaerobic sealant and a new crankshaft seal from Napa Auto Parts. After buttoning everything up the engine fired up perfectly with no apparrent leaks (pheww). However, I was driving down the road today at highway speeds and after about 20 miles I noticed smoke in the rearview mirror. I pulled off at the first exit and stopped to examine things. Oil was leaking everywhere and there was a lot of it. I was very careful with my work and torqued everything to spec according to Haynes (except for the crankshaft pulley which I torqued to 115 ft-lbs per USMB). Has anyone had this happen??? Where should I start??? Please help??

Did you install the crankshaft seal first; then install the oil pumo on to the block? If you did you damaged the seal. Purchase a new o-ring and crankshaft seal from Subaru. Then first install the oil pump. After the oil pump is installed then install the front crankshaft seal. Good luck.

Did you install the crankshaft seal first; then install the oil pumo on to the block? If you did you damaged the seal. Purchase a new o-ring and crankshaft seal from Subaru. Then first install the oil pump. After the oil pump is installed then install the front crankshaft seal. Good luck.

I've done two crank seals by putting them on the oil pump first and then installing the oil pump. They've been fine.

I agree that if you aren't careful you might screw it up, but the ones I did are fine.

I've done two crank seals by putting them on the oil pump first and then installing the oil pump. They've been fine.

I agree that if you aren't careful you might screw it up, but the ones I did are fine.

Totally agree, I do at least 3 of them a week that way without any problem. Dump the Napa part if its not a brown seal. The oem new Brown seals that subaru sells are WAY better.

I would disagree about the Anaerobic sealant being the wrong stuff for the job. I have not personally had an EJ22 oil pump apart so I'm not positive how it goes together, but unless the sealant has to fill a LARGE GAP (like 1/8"), Anaerobic sealant is generally far superior to any RTV and is the ONLY thing to use on gasketless mating surfaces.

Just my two cents. I may be full of it:drunk: .