Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My crazy brake pad search for a 2002 OBS

Are there any other 2002 OBS owners out there that have had trouble finding brake pads for this car?

I've worked with Autozone and NAPA over the last 3 weeks and ordered/purchased/checked out 6 different sets of pads and have yet to find ones that will work. I finally gave in and called the dealer- the parts guy said he would have to special order them since they aren't that common. I guess everyone started buying WRXs in 2002 and so OBSs must be rare. This has been crazy for me. Most auto parts stores don't even have the OBS or Impreza Outback listed.

I picked up a set of pads for my wife's 2000 OBW from Autozone, just the plain jane Wear Evers. The "guide tabs" were just a tad bit too large, making it a pain in the arse to get them installed. I suspect they were the reason the brakes locked up on the left front about four days after they were installed.

After that, the wife has pretty much demanded the brake pads straight from the dealer. More expensive, but it also came with replacement shims and guides. Made it worthwhile to pick up the set from the dealer, even if I did have to admit the wife was right. :rolleyes:

I picked up a set of pads for my wife's 2000 OBW from Autozone, just the plain jane Wear Evers. The "guide tabs" were just a tad bit too large, making it a pain in the arse to get them installed. I suspect they were the reason the brakes locked up on the left front about four days after they were installed.

After that, the wife has pretty much demanded the brake pads straight from the dealer. More expensive, but it also came with replacement shims and guides. Made it worthwhile to pick up the set from the dealer, even if I did have to admit the wife was right. :rolleyes:

Yeah, same problem here. The guide tabs are too wide. I can't believe you installed them anyway:)