Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Subarus and Problems!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My Baja has been really good so far. It's got about 20,000 miles on it.

It's a 5 speed so I'm not experiencing any transmission problems some of the other Baja owners have complained about. But I will say that Subarus have the worst clutch system. I have to rev it a bit higher and let out on the clutch a bit slower than my other 5 speed cars otherwise the car takes off like a dumptruck. Some one explained it was because of the AWD system. That everything has to be in motion or it doesn't go as smooth.

The only thing I had to have the dealership "fix" was the bed extender. I left it out for a month and it contracted 3". So I had to have the dealership put it back it.

About the only thing I can say bad about the Baja other than the clutch system are the tires. Bridgestone tires are pathetic.

When below freezing they thump like a set of old bias ply tires.

Last time I rotated them they made a roaring sound even though I had rottated them twice before. After 1500 miles the roaring sound went away. I suppose when the tread wore down.

Tire wire is even but at 20,000 miles they are more than half worn out. I figure they wont make it to 30,000 miles. I rotate them every other oil change (about every 6000 miles).

I'm getting a set of Michelins next time. Bridgestone tires are junk.

Capri, looking at your post again, I notice that you are taking your reliability stats from the posts here. This is a place where enthusiasts come to get advice|rant about trouble they are having with thier cars. Not a good representation at all.
I disagree. Go to the Jeep forums, you'll quickly find their weaknesses in posts ranting or asking for help. Same on Audi or Saturn or Subaru forums. If they talk a lot about transmission cooler troubles, guess what: those cars probably have transmission cooler troubles. These forums are a concentration of car problems broken down by model and year. There are some forums that have few mentions of problems, the 80-series Landcruiser for instance. I did my research before buying my 80. I also did my research before buying my Subaru, and I avoided any with a 2.5l, and watched for clutch problems. I'm looking for another AWD wagon, and I'll be avoiding Subarus unless I find another steal on a 2.2l manual tranny with new clutch and low miles. I think I've got a great car in this Subie, but that doesn't blind me to the reality that there are many bad Subarus. I love my quattro, it's gone 250k with minimal trouble, as did my previous two and two of my brother's quattros. I'd love to get another like it, but the newer ones aren't reliable and I won't consider one newer than '96. Get on the forums and read and ask questions like you are, that's a great way to evaluate used cars.

All I can say is I've owned two Subarus in the last 24 years. 1st was a GL wagon second which I'm currently driving is a 92 Legacy 150K just in the process of changing the clutch. Between the two cars 290,000 miles the GL towed once bad gas clogged all the fuel filters other then that NORMAL maitenace and thats it. The only downside living in the Midwest the road salt eats the body up. Love my Subarus. Oh and the Subaru engine is growing in popularity as being used in homebuilt airplanes. Why because of its reliability.

aee