Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing front discs and pads on 1800DL 4WD

Hi there all of you!

I just inherited a 91 1800DL 4wd that needs brake work at the front end, at least. I ordered up the discs and pads, planning to fit them myself, but then I have been told I need to take the wheel bearings off to change the discs!!!

I have a two part question really,

Is that true, and is it really such a big job?

If they have only been grinding for a few miles might I be able to just change the pads?

I am going to go out and have a look at the problem now, to see if the discs are so chewed up.

;)

You only have to pull the hub off and then remove the disc from that. The bearings are pressed into the knuckle. Just get the caliper and bracket bolts off, and remove the cast. nut, washer and spacer. May have to use a puller to get the hub off.

There is a minimum spec thickness for the disc casted into the inside of it. If it's less than this, get new discs. If not, just have them turned (resurfaced) unless they are in perfect shape, which is unlikely. Most people suggest always turning rotors with new pads. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. The pads just last longer, the better shape the rotors are in.