Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To j-yrd tranny again or not? That is the qstn.

Hello all,

I've finally come out of the usmb shadows of reading page after page of archived threads to finally posting one of my own tranny questions.

Here's my deal, I have a 90 legacy wagon awd with 180k. I replaced the original tranny (it was towed with the rear wheels on the ground - bad and sad) and replaced it with a junkyard tranny. When they put it in, they added 12 quarts of fluid, so essentially it was flushed. That one lasted about a thousand miles before the torque bind started. I put on a set of new tires to be within 1/4" and it did not help. The torque bind went away when I put in the fuse.

I want to sell the car. If I sell it as is, I will take a financial hit. The junkyard told me that they could put in another tranny, untested, with 130k for only shop labor fees ~$300. If this other tranny works, I could most likely sell the car for the money I have in it. On the other hand, it may have the torque bind demon lurking in the tail housing. Who knows? I don't have the facilities right know to do the tranny swap myself. Bummer. Before I do all this, should I put new fluid in the tranny with the torque bind even though the current fluid is only about 1k miles old?

I humbly await the advice of the usmb jedi masters...

derekd

if you are certain the fluid is new, no need to change it unless you suspect it is the wrong kind. but it is cheap and never hurts to try.

shouldn't the trans be under warranty? when i seperated my shoulder i asked a local shop and they said they'd install a trans that i supplied for $150 or $200 with a new filter installed. i ended up doing it myself anyway since i bought an engine lift it was easier. i'd look to have that other trans installed for cheaper than $300.

while you're doing this, make sure your ATF coolant lines are free and not clogged. wondering why you lost one trans then another so quickly, sounds suspicious. best to install an aftermarket trans cooler for 30 bucks to gaurantee new/clear lines but you're not keeping so you probably don't want to do that.

Thanks for the advice Gary, I'll check that out. Yeah, the first tranny died from being towed from Tucson to Albuquerque (8 hours) at about 60mph. The second one had high mileage, maybe 180k or so. I should have tried harder to find a lower mileage tranny I guess. But checking the tranny cooler and the lines is a good heads up as well as the other advice, thanks.

Derekd