Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any difference between 2003 and 2004 model Bajas?

A guy on Ebay is selling these intake systems. I was going to build one myself but for $100 why bother?

I had one of these systems on my Jeep Wrangler and it really made of difference, although the intake noise was herendous. I suppose that is the tradeoff . But I also got a throttle body that had been modified. It looked like they machined a lip off the base.

I think the guy selling these is into BMWs so he probably doesn't know this but if this pipe is listed for a 2004 to 2005 model would it fit a 2003 model?

I'm not aware of any external engine compartment differences between 2003 and 2004 models.

Is your 2003 MAF sensor based? I'd ask the guy if his intakes are meant for MAF or MAP based engines.

I know on the imprezas they swapped between MAP & MAF sensors occasionally.

If the sensors are the same, I don't see why it shouldn't work.

I don't think the difference in MAP sensors matters. I suppose the best question would be if you ordered a new intake pipe for a 2003 model, would a 2004 model have the same part number?

Such as are the throttle bodies the same bore? Did Subaru relocate something (like an A/C compressor) that might conflict.

Here's the item I'm talking about. This maybe just another generic photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weapon-R-dragon-intake-04-05-subaru-baja-2-5L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8004065643QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I don't think the difference in MAP sensors matters. I suppose the best question would be if you ordered a new intake pipe for a 2003 model, would a 2004 model have the same part number?

Such as are the throttle bodies the same bore? Did Subaru relocate something (like an A/C compressor) that might conflict.

Here's the item I'm talking about. This maybe just another generic photo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weapon-R-dragon-intake-04-05-subaru-baja-2-5L_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38634QQitemZ8004065643QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Actually, the MAF vs MAP thing does matter. If you have a MAF sensor, you'd have to put some silicone hose between the intake and MAF sensor, and then get a bracket for the other side of the MAF sensor to allow the filter to slide on. If it's a MAP sensor, you don't have to worry about any of that.

Just an FYI, those style of open intakes can take away low & mid range torque, as well as cause MAF failures, if you have a MAF. I ran with one of those open style filters for several years, and had a MAF die on me.

Personally....your best bet is to remove the snorkle from the fender. It allows the engine to breathe better, but doesn't kill low or mid range torque.