Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a noise under the hood of my 96 Legacy GT (automatic transmission). Its not your classic lifter noise and I think I've narrowed it down to either a cracked flex plate (this may be why my idle has gotten a little rough), a bad timing belt tensioner on the right side or main bearing noise. My question is how do you inspect the flexplqte? Does it have an inspection cover like an American car? Is there anyone in the Greenville, SC area who might be enough of an expert to give me some idea as to what the noise is? Thanks. By the way, this is my first Subie and I have really enjoyed it!

the flexplate should change noise if you go from nuetral to drive nuetral to reverse.

Mine didnt! Mine was cracked in a few places due to bolts not being torqued down (and 3 of the 4 bolts being used, and 2 of them being stripped from being crossthreaded and jammed in) When it finally cracked it just made a horrible sound starting up (think loose piece of metal in the housing) then that sound again putting it into gear.

The inspection plate (if this is like my 93 legacy) will be towards the passenger side, you'll have to pull the cover off and I believe the pcv hose to look into it.