Ultimate Subaru Message Board

decode vin numbers

What kind of help do you need?

the VIN indicates the car year (83) and type (GL Wagon 4WD 4MT D/R), and gives its serial number (36494)...

i need help finding a 4 or 5 speed dual range tranny mine still shifts but is sloppy and i think the fork were the clutch cable goes is bent i got a new cable put it on and still does not let go all the way the clutch is still ingage

so i think its the tranny i love my car i got full snorkle and 27 kuhmo mt i am going biger if i can ever get a hold of the guy that sells the lift kits

thank you

i need help finding a 4 or 5 speed dual range tranny mine still shifts but is sloppy and i think the fork were the clutch cable goes is bent i got a new cable put it on and still does not let go all the way the clutch is still ingage

so i think its the tranny i love my car i got full snorkle and 27 kuhmo mt i am going biger if i can ever get a hold of the guy that sells the lift kits

thank you

It's possible that the sloppy shifter is just the bushings in the lever, not internal to the tranny. I had an '84 that the shifter felt like it was in nuetral in every gear. Tranny still worked fine with no grinding or binding or anything though.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable? If you tighten the nut down a little, it might help -- this is a common problem on these cars. My '82 had to be readjusted every month, but that was also with an old stretchy clutch cable.

It's possible that the sloppy shifter is just the bushings in the lever, not internal to the tranny. I had an '84 that the shifter felt like it was in nuetral in every gear. Tranny still worked fine with no grinding or binding or anything though.

Have you tried adjusting the clutch cable? If you tighten the nut down a little, it might help -- this is a common problem on these cars. My '82 had to be readjusted every month, but that was also with an old stretchy clutch cable.

yes i had to add nuts on the cable to get it to work and its a brand new cable it had the nuts on it when i bought the car i thought when i got a new cable it would not need them but i still did