Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Advice on hesitation issue with 97 OBS

I have been expieriencing the 2000-2500 rpm hesitation issue with my 97 OBS. I have recently replaced the air filter and spark plugs. I noticed the hesitationafter an oil change, but after thinking back I think it may have been occuring before that. I tried resetting the ECU, this worked, but the issue returned after about 20 min of driving. I am thinking that replacing the knock sensor would be the next logical step, but I am looking for input from other people on this. the other thing that I had been thinking was that it could be the "air pocket" in the oil filter, but it's been about 500 mi since the oil change so I would think that would be gone by now with the ECU reset. So what do you think?

Roll over to NASIOC and do some research about the "grounding mod." You sound like you may be suffering from bad grounding. The most common symptom of this is hesitation around where you've got it.

I would hesitate on the knock sensor as they're really just a microphone -- they're either working or not and when they're not, they throw a CEL. They're also a bit too expensive to "just change" at ~$100. The grounding mod might cost you $20 if you buy really spiffy hardware.

spark plugs were gapped properly before you installed them?

how are the plug wires? they can be difficult to seat and these motors are picky about their ignition wires. don't replace with a cheap set of wires either.

i personally would replace the ignition wires first (with magnecor wires www.magencor.com). then move on from there, like with the grounding mod. with the age, the wires are a good replacement item anyway.

come to think of it, i replaced my spark plugs this summer and was waiting on delivery of a set of wires so i did the plugs alone first. this is on my 97 OBS as well with 65,000 miles. car ran like crap, bought a cheap wire to replace the suspect wire and it ran better for about 10 miles then ran crappy again. replaced with the new wires when i got them in and all was well.

air pocket in oil filter, no way.