Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starting in the morning, car has NO power.

Every time my car has been sitting awhile, especially when I first try to drive it in the morning I have no power, have the accellerator to the floor it and it still barely moves, if I try to go up hill when im first starting out it dies more than once. After I drive it for about 5 mins it drives fine. 87 EA82 carbed wagon....any suggestions? THANKS??

Every time my car has been sitting awhile, especially when I first try to drive it in the morning I have no power, have the accellerator to the floor it and it still barely moves, if I try to go up hill when im first starting out it dies more than once. After I drive it for about 5 mins it drives fine. 87 EA82 carbed wagon....any suggestions? THANKS??

That describes my old '81 GL wagon. It ended up being a sticky choke.

Tracy

yeah, One time it stopped in the middle of an intersection and I couldn't get it going again so I pulled off my air cover and stuck a screwdriver holding it open, and it started up....so what steps should I take to get it to where it wont do that?? And also the belt closest to the back is wobbling...I tightened them up as best as I could and the one closest to the front is tight but the rear one keeps coming loose, what is the belt called....was looking for the part and there was a left and right hand...which one is the one closest to the rear? THANKS!!!!!

yeah, One time it stopped in the middle of an intersection and I couldn't get it going again so I pulled off my air cover and stuck a screwdriver holding it open, and it started up....so what steps should I take to get it to where it wont do that?? And also the belt closest to the back is wobbling...I tightened them up as best as I could and the one closest to the front is tight but the rear one keeps coming loose, what is the belt called....was looking for the part and there was a left and right hand...which one is the one closest to the rear? THANKS!!!!!

Have you tried dousing the carb inside and out with some B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner or similar?

Are you talking about the alternator, waterpump, powersteering, A/C belts? Do you have A/C? Do you have two belts that take the exact same path around the pulleys or not?

Tracy

yeah they are two belts that go around the exact same path, has AC...although it doesnt work.

Check again... if the car has an A/C compressor, the two belts route differently because the A/C compressor and the alternator will only have one pully and everything else will have two.

If the car doesn't have A/C, the two belts are simply redundant. If one is slipping then one is slightly larger. They need to be a matched pair for them to both be tight.

If it does have an A/C compressor. These belts are not a matched pair. They take different paths. One is tightened by swinging the alternator on its pivot point, the other has an idler pully for adjustment. you can eliminate the belt that goes around the A/C compressor if it is indeed non-functional. The remaining belt is catching the important stuff (water pump, PS pump, alternator).

Tracy

sprayed a little bit of the autozone carb cleaner but didnt have the tools to get the air cleaner off so didn't hit it well...will try that asap.

If it is just a gummed up choke actuator or linkage, you need to spray carb cleaner around the choke linkage and the choke actuator. It is under the air cleaner box.

A few tools are a good thing to have anyway... even if you just get yourself a cheap set to store in the way cool tool box under the carpet in the back where the spare tire for most cars sits.

Tracy

am on a break in class right now but will check tomorrow after I get off work but I kn ow both belts run around the alternator pulley...when I loosened the bolt onl the alternator ajustment and pulled the alternator up and tightened it both belts felt tight...but now the rear one has alot of slack again. Will get a tool kit asap but have a $-29 balance right now...get paid on friday though.

am on a break in class right now but will check tomorrow after I get off work but I kn ow both belts run around the alternator pulley...when I loosened the bolt onl the alternator ajustment and pulled the alternator up and tightened it both belts felt tight...but now the rear one has alot of slack again. Will get a tool kit asap but have a $-29 balance right now...get paid on friday though.

I got tired of having to tighten two belts, so I took off the inner belt and its tensioner. I bought two new outer belts, one as a backup. No problems so far.

Will get a tool kit asap but have a $-29 balance right now...get paid on friday though.

That's what credit cards are for LOL! Just kidding... good for you on staying out of debt.

Me on the other hand... I'm in debt up to my Ar$e. That's why I drive an '87 Subaru to work every day :)

Tracy

Part of having a carb compared to efi is that the carb cannot atomize the fuel properly till it is warmed up.I had the same deal with dirtbikes or snowmobiles that I have had.I had to do the same thing with the hatch I used to have after I leaned the main jet out.Cleaning your carbs wouldn't hurt either.