Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would go with a good set of driving lights with a relay (not fog lights) I had mine hooked up so they would turn on automaticly with the low beams. Like others have said they enhance the look of your car and the bulbs tend to last longer. By the way I know how you feel. My low beams were about = to holding a flashlight out the window!:lol: Best of luck.

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this thread to report that my second SilverStar bulb burned out... so, the first one lasted one year and the second two years. That is much better than my first experience with the XtraVisions, which both lasted around 10 months, but now that I am driving around with one burned out SilverStar and one stock bulb, I am going to give the XtraVisions another chance and get a set of those. I'll still follow my own advice and carry at least one spare bulb in the car since they tend to burn out at inopportune times.

Earlier in the thread Ranger83 posted that the Xtravisions are available at WalMart in a two pack, so I'll probably pick those up as I received a gift certificate and have been racking my brain trying to think of something worth going to WalMart for. I generally avoid the place if possible.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to all our readers!

The low beam on my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback are, to say the least a big disappointment. The profile of the beam is part of the problem (some extra light higher and up the kerbside would be welcome) combined with lack of adjustment to the headlight unit (both hi and lo beam are too low even on the top setting on the dashboard control) both conspire to make this car a hazard to drive on unlit roads against oncoming traffic.

I have purchased some extra bright GE bulbs of the same wattage and these seem t make a small improvement. The next step is to see if i can modify the attachments of the headlamp units to the body. Has any body got any other ideas?

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to all our readers!

The low beam on my 1999 Subaru Legacy Outback are, to say the least a big disappointment. The profile of the beam is part of the problem (some extra light higher and up the kerbside would be welcome) combined with lack of adjustment to the headlight unit (both hi and lo beam are too low even on the top setting on the dashboard control) both conspire to make this car a hazard to drive on unlit roads against oncoming traffic.

I have purchased some extra bright GE bulbs of the same wattage and these seem t make a small improvement. The next step is to see if i can modify the attachments of the headlamp units to the body. Has any body got any other ideas?

The dashboard control? You mean the adjuster for the interior lights? You need to open the hood, and look at the screws protruding from the back of the headlights. These are used to aim them properly.

For aiming instructions: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

The US Silverstars are a waste of money. There have been many tests done, and short of a full HID conversion the Orsam Silverstars (not available in the USA) are the next brightest bulb. There is a lenghty BMW related article if you want to read it here. These bulbs are available on eBay from a seller named "pdburg" and are CHEAPER ($32.00 pair shipped) than US Silverstars. One of his listings is here. I've wet sanded my headlamps, installed the Silverstars (US) and saw a huge improvement. Always looking for better though, I tried the Orsam Silverstars and I was blown away. These headlights are very close to my BMW's lights. The beam pattern is horrid, but there is a lot more light on the road. Now if someone would come out with a "projector" style headlamp for the Legacy, things would be wonderful. Hope this helps!