Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Think I Found An Honest Dealer/Garage

Yeah... sooooo.... everyone remember that overheating problem that my '97 was having? I managed to toast the engine really well a couple of weeks ago. Check engine light was flashing (that's a first for me, btw), engine would stumble under load and under idle intermittently, and it would belch dirty exhaust at about the same time. Smelled something horrible, too... like a hot engine mixed with burning oil.

Talked to the dealer/garage... the owner said "Can you drive it back? If it dies on the way here, call me, and we'll tow it back." I managed to get it back in (after dropping the air "burp" radiator plug down into the lower radiator mount, where I couldn't retrieve it), and parked it. Ran my thoughts of a plugged/stuck radiator past him, and he said it's a definite thought, and he'd look into its condition. Also said he'd take care of the engine, repair or replace as necessary.

I stopped by a week ago, and he outright stated he'd replace the engine, and cover it. On the down side, he's got to find a replacement engine first. He is taking his time to find one, but that's better than yanking any ol' engine out of whatever junkyard he runs across. Considering that I'm driving around a Geekmobile, I can afford to wait a bit.

I'm starting to think I found an honest-to-goodness reputable shop, located in Troy, NY of all places. The "armpit of the east coast". I don't plan on keeping my hopes up, but things might just work out this time. It'll be really nice to know that I haven't gotten burned yet again by trusting someone's word. :drunk:

P.S.: I'm not going to reveal the name/location of this dealer until this little adventure has had its run... no sense jinxing myself.