Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Revs When Idling 97 Leg/Out

My 97 Legacy Outback when idling between 500/600 usually and it sounds strained like it wants to go higher. Tonight when idling it went to over 1000 and then came back down to 500/600. It never used to sound strained like that. They checked/cleaned the air control valve. Today a friend said he thought the clutch was not good. It grinds when going in reverse. The lying snakes I bought the car from supposedly put a new clutch in but now we wonder. Is there an easy way for someone to see if there is a new clutch. The car used to be totally silent when idling. I had new timing belts/water pump/head gaskets/PCV valve a month ago.

Terrie from Boulder

I had a bastard of a problem with my idle. It would get very low, low enough that the car would shake and stalled 2 times. I cleaned the IACV and that didnt help. A few days later my idle went up to 1.5 or 2k rpms which was because the IACV is a piece of *&^%. I replaced the expensive piece of &*^% and now its fine. If this sounds anything like what yours is doing you may consider replacing the IACV and multiple dealers have told me they sell them frequently.

Any check engine light (CEL)???