Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ride height on my 01 forester S turbo

Thanks folks. It’s not air suspension but some kind of hydraulic setup. I think it works of the Hill start program. That’s a feature where you don’t have to hold the brake on a hill start. (Manual gearbox only) you press the clutch and brake pedal together on an incline, and the ABS stays on until the clutch is released. There is a sensor that’s picks up the incline, I suspect the self levelling suspension works from this. If you put a heavy trailer on the back just give it a few miles and things level out all by them selves. But you have to drive the car for it to work. Once you remove the trailer the rear rises but after a few miles all is back to normal?. I think you are correct, it’s probably a complicated job.

Is it too high or too low?

I'm not sure we got the self leveling feature in the states, so I'm not sure if anyone will be able to help.

I would suspect you probably can't adjust it manually though.

Thanks. You are probably right. Like your Suby site. you have to put a turbo on that puppy.A turbo is probally a 40% power increas.

Not so sure, the car has a sensor that activates at an incline of 5 degrees or more. The brakes are held for you until the clutch is released. There is an electric switch to adjust as the clutch wears. I’ve never adjusted mine and it got 80K on it now. It only works if the car is pointing up hill. If the car is pointing down hill it will not work, so I think it is electrical. Its probably got a tilt switch of some sort.

The hill holder you're talking about is something different, and should be an entirely mechanical system. I don't think the leveling suspension and hill holder are going to be tied together, but subaru has done crazier stuff.