Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02' 2.5 interferance question???

OK first off.......what a great website!!!!!!!!!! Hello to all. I'm smak-dab in the middle of doing a timing belt on my 02 2.5 impreza outback sport (5spd/mt ftawd). I drive for a living (copier tech by day-plumber,carpenter,electrician,mason,mechanic,ect. by night) Anyway I've got 83k on the car and thought I'd better get this done. So I've got my parts(changing cam seals as well, just preventive no leaks) and I start my tear down. I do not have a manual for the car, it's too new, nobody makes one yet. I've done other suby t-belts before with no problem, my old xt, wife's legacy(95'). I asked my dealer if there was anything special I should know, I told him I didn't have a book but had done other subarus in the past,blah,blah,blah. His reply...nope...you'll be fine! We'll I'm scared to death. I wish I had know about this site about 6hrs sooner than I did. I did not know this is an interferance motor!!!! My question, or worry....as I have read, I am not the only one who was caught off guard by the left side cam spinning when tension is relaxed off the belt; to bring this back closer to position, I simply rotated it almost a full turn with a socket and 1/2 " dr ratchet. I did it very slow(or a slow as it would let me). Did I bend a valve? The crankshaft timing belt mark( the dash..not the triangle) is currently two teeth ccw of the mark on the block. Please help so I can stop feeling like I'm gonna hurl!

I am not aware if your 02 is a DOHC or SOHC.

The DOHC is capable of bending a valve if the cams are rotated in the wrong direction when the belt is off. The valves are at such an acute angle and so close, when one opens, if the other comes open, they hit one another. Turning the cam in the wrong direction at this time can then damage the valve seat, or worse, bend it. As well as hitting the piston crown.

The SOHC doesn't have this problem. And turning the cams (left or right) and the crankshaft to line up the timing marks will not cause a problem. The SOHC is capable of self destuction when running at speed and the belt breaks. The momentium of the pistons against the valve 'float' can cause the valve to hit the head of the piston. Once again the valve angle is acute and the edge of the valve can strike the piston, damaging it like a chisel and bending the valve.

Hope this info helps and points you in the right direction. The SOHC replacement should be no different than your older 2.2L (except the tensioner is different).

Thanks for all the info...whew!!!!!...That's a relief!:)

svxpert...Thanks much for the offer....But I'm short on denaro these days,I'll keep you in mind though! (I figured they were available from soa but most factory shop books aint cheap ,so i just didn't ask.:rolleyes: Although being a service tech myself there is no substitue for factory info.)