Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reusing my valve cover gaskets

Did a search couldn't find anything.

Here's my problem. I'm swapping out the camshaft seals and had a problem pulling the camshaft sprockets. Made a tool with a 2 3/8" socket and angle iron. Got the left side off but can't get the right side off. I've already stripped the front part of the sprockets and am going to pull the valve cover on that side and hold the cam. If I jack up that side to keep oil from leaking out can I reuse the valve cover gaskets or would I just be pulling them later becuse of leaks? I would rather not spend the $60 on new ones if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance -Charlie

Iv'e got a 50/50 answer for you. When I pulled the driver and passenger valve covers, I also didnt want to spend 60 bucks... so I reused them. The driver side was no problem. No leaks, perfect. The passenger side had a small, small leak... just enough to smell. Damnit.

So, its a gamble, definitly worth reassembling and seeing how it goes by reusing the gaskets, but chances are, you'll need to get new ones. .... or a new ONE ;)

I reused a set and both sides eventually leaked. I redid one side using some ultragrey. It hasn't leaked again. I intend to redo the other side while the engine is out. I hated to buy the gaskets, too. I'd reuse them again, but I'd use sealant.

it's terrible to be so cheap.

Tom

• 2 months later...

I didnt' know about the grommets. That would have been a last minute discovery.

As for my reference to silicone...that was not for leak suppression but to keep the gasket in place during installation...in place of the "grease glue." Is fixing them permanently to the cover like that a bad idea?

Last question - the "similar appends" that are shown below this thread talk about OEM gaskets and grommets. I have never been disappointed with felpro or mr gasket or other major brands - i usu stay away from house-branded parts like "MYAUTOSTORE QUALITY REPLACEMENT PARTS."