Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new outback rear reflectors/lights

Hmmm, I find there's some safety benefit although it's got to cost more for Subaru. I wonder if separate reverse lights is/will become a requirement by U.S. DOT for all vehicles?

This is not new, nor is it a FMVSS requirement. Separate back up lights on the new Legacy wagons are simply a new "twist" on styling. If you think about cars from the 60's (for example a 1969 Mustang), many of them had separate back up lights. I'll bet you're correct about the cost, however, and you can bet it's passed on to the consumer.

Kaptain,

I think the discussion was whether or not the reverse or backup lights should/must/were/could be separate from the other light cluster on the rear. I understand the confusion though for Subaruites who likely never think of going backward, just pushing onward, upward and forward!

My wife has the 05 with this newer design (losing that earlier red reflector bandaid across the back) and I prefer the entire styling of the newest OB generation (except the hoodscoop on turbos), almost Lexusian but not as bulky (or pricey).

Reverse lights are mandatory almost everywhere else in the world. It would actually cost Subaru more if they omitted them from the car, as it would require a change from the Outback they sell in Japan, Australia, Europe, UK, etc.

I like the new look as well (in general I mean, not necessarily the backup lights). None of the ones I've seen have the two-tone that the Outbacks used to have and as a result I think they look less "fat" and higher off the ground and more aggressive. I'd be interested in driving one to see if they're any more aggressive under the hood compared to my 2002 OB.

When I googled the issue of rear lights it was thought that separate backup light assemblies made it easier to tell from a distance that someone was say backing up on the highway from a long distance compared to combined lighting assemblies. Maybe I'll buy that since the reflector appears to be larger.

Kaptain,

I think the discussion was whether or not the reverse or backup lights should/must/were/could be separate from the other light cluster on the rear. I understand the confusion though for Subaruites who likely never think of going backward, just pushing onward, upward and forward!

My wife has the 05 with this newer design (losing that earlier red reflector bandaid across the back) and I prefer the entire styling of the newest OB generation (except the hoodscoop on turbos), almost Lexusian but not as bulky (or pricey).

Kaptain,

I'm with you. My story is that it was late at night and I was tired. And I'm sticking to it.

I like the new Liberty/Outback look, although it's now impossible to tell the difference between the 2, whereas at least on the 03 and earlier, it was obvious, and the Liberty looked to ride lower (which it does, but I mean that it was almost accentuated by the single-tone paint).