Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a neighbor's 2002 OBW LL Bean to replace my 1996 OBW, but it has a slight problem. One of the rear seats can't be brought forward b/c that little knob seat release thing (what do you call those??) is broken. When you pull on the knob, the whole little knob & stick come right out of the hole. I can't tell if the stick has been sheared off somehow or what.

Does anyone know what it would take to get that fixed? I need a bargaining position for sales price. I tried calling a dealership, but I had to leave a message, and who knows when they'll get back to me.

Thanks! :)

Hello,

I am thinking of purchasing a neighbor's 2002 OBW LL Bean to replace my 1996 OBW, but it has a slight problem. One of the rear seats can't be brought forward b/c that little knob seat release thing (what do you call those??) is broken. When you pull on the knob, the whole little knob & stick come right out of the hole. I can't tell if the stick has been sheared off somehow or what.

Does anyone know what it would take to get that fixed? I need a bargaining position for sales price. I tried calling a dealership, but I had to leave a message, and who knows when they'll get back to me.

Thanks! :)

Don't know the particulars for the mechanicals, but I'd look at the end of the stick (attached to the knob since you said both knob and stick come out [together]). Does the end of the stick have threads, like it is supposed to screw into something or have a nut attached? Does it have a hole through which a [cotter] pin retains it within a harness or shoe of the next part? Does it have a plastic insert with a groove in it for a snap-in retainer clip ring? Or is the stick damaged so the end of it is broken off? Don't know your model but I would think you would get under the carpet backside to find screws to remove a panel to get underneath to replace/repair the mehanism. I'm not at home right now to check the trim instructions for my old Subie.

Turns out it should be an easy fix. Dealer called back & said that in most instances, the plastic piece with the knob has become unthreaded from the metal rod inside the seat, and that the metal rod might be slightly off-center. He told me to grab hold of the grommet on the seat and move it around, and that should put the rod back into place. Apparently, I should easily be able to poke around in the hole for the rod and thread the plastic piece back on.

Price for fix: $0. Yippee!!