Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which engine in a 90 Wagon?

Which engine does a 90 Turbo Wagon have in it? (and does it have the same body style as an 86? What year did they change body style?) Is anything compatible with an 86 EA82 (carbed). Things like starter and distributor specifically?

I haven't seen it yet, but my brother called me about a friend's of his 90 Turbo Wagon that won't start. It was running until he changed plugs and cap, now it won't start. He burned out the starter trying so much. He's willing to let me haul it home and take a stab at fixing it, and then giving him what I think it's worth (if I can fix it). He was almost having it hauled to the junkyard, so I will be able to get it for cheap. I've only worked on the carbed EA81's and EA82's though. I have an extra starter and distributor from an EA82, so I was hoping they'd work for the 90 to see if I can get it going.....

it will have an EA82T engine in it, unless it's a legacy, in which case I don't know what engine it would have :-P

I would check the firing order first. 1, 3, 2, 4, CCW from the mark on the cap.

After that, I would check the timing belts (make sure the rotor spins when cranked)

edit: make sure it's the right cap/rotor also

so, does a starter from an EA82 work for an EA82T?

the firing order will definitely be my first check. I had him check the timing belts while I was on the phone with him and he said that he said he was sure they were fine, but that will definitely be on my check list too.....

The implication is that if it had a distributor to change the cap and rotor on, than it is an EA82T and not a Legacy, and most parts are interchangeable with ther EA82 series. The distributor would have to be from an 87-or-so-and up EA82 for it to work. My guess is it should be something simple like not having the right cap and/or rotor and/or wires in wrong order.