Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gotta wiring diagram?

My info shows the red fuse link ties to the blk/wht wire. The wire ties to the alternator, the headlight relays, and to fuse #5. After fuse #5 the wire turns to Wht and goes to other accessories. These are the horn, clock, SPFI control unit, key warning switch, trunk rm light, digital instument cluster, and directional/hazard switch.

I assume you are having trouble with something on that fusible link circuit. Is the link blowing out? If so, I would check the alternator first.

The alternator may have a bad diode inside it and is backfeeding to the other circuits. Try removing the main output lead from the alternator and see if the problem goes away. Be careful not to touch anything with it as you probably know it is hot to the battery. The safe thing to do is to remove the ground lead from the battery before disconnecting it. Another thing you can do is remove the black fusible link to isolate the battery from the alternator output lead. If the problem clears when the alternator output lead is disconnected from the alternator and the battery is reconnected then you will need to replace the alternator. It should have a warranty. I have seen this kind of problem a few times.