Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru loyale...el, gl, whats that?

OK, it can get a little confusing, but it's really pretty simple. Your car is the same as the 85-up DL, GL, and GL-10 wagon. The letter designations refer to different trim levels. Some of the earlier engines were carbureted, while all the later ones are fuel injected. All of the overhead cam engines are EA82s. EA82T refers to the turbocharged version. Most of the parts on these cars are interchangeable with little modification. If I remember from your earlier post, you have a SPFI (single point fuel injection, or throttle body injection) EA82 with a pushbutton 4WD. Some popular upgrades you can get from donor vehicles would be a dual range 5 speed (it has a 4wd hi and 4wd lo range) and rear disk brakes from a turbo wagon.

EA81 is the pushrod 1.8 subaru motor found in 80-84. (correct me if im wrong folks, maybe it was offered earlier?)

EA82 is the SOHC 1.8 motor that subarian mentioned. just remember that and what type of fueling system you have, and youll get pretty far at auto parts desks.

The first three gen's can be a little tricky at first.

You have Gen I's that are dived up into Stage I and Stage II's. These are usually 1.6L (EA71)and less, and built before 1980, except for Brats, they changed bodies in 82.

Gen II's are the EA81 body style (although some did come with EA71's). These are like the 82-87(92 over seas) Brat, 80-84 hatch/wagon/sedan/hardtop. The longest production older gen cars. (my personal favorite)

Then you have the Gen III's. These are the 85-92 wagon/3-door/sedans/RX/XT, commonly called EA82 body style. (Most common older gen on the road today)

The New gen's are Legacy/Impreza/Forester/Baja/SVX but there is another forum for them.

The EA is the code for the engine.

EA71 is 1.6L (1600cc) Overhead valve

EA81 is 1.8L (1800cc) Overhead valve

EA82 is 1.8L (1800cc) Overhead Camshaft

ER27 is 2.7L (2700cc) Overhead Camshaft H6, found in XT-6's. The first generation 6 cylinder.

Some generation similarities are as follows. The EA71 and EA81 share the same bore but not stroke, pistons interchange. Gen I EA71 and EA81 bellhousings do not, Gen II EA71 and EA81's do. EA82 and EA81's share same bore, and stroke, pistons do interchange, as well as Carb'd and SPFI intake manifolds. Bellhousing same as EA81. Most brake parts swap. Axles are longer on Gen III's. ER27 same bellhousing and pistons as EA82/81, different injectors/alternator/timing belt set up. (As well as the obvious, it's a 6 and the others a 4)

Tranny's come in various styles. (I'll only cover 4WD's) Starting with the Gen I's, there is a single range (S/r) 4WD 4 speed. The Gen II's (some Gen I Brats) has a Dual Range (D/r, high and low) 4WD 4spd, and 3spd auto push button (P/b) 4wd's. Gen III's have S/r P/b 4WD 5spd, D/r 4WD 5spd, Fulltime 4WD (FT4WD) 5spd, D/r FT4WD 5spd, 3spd auto P/b 4WD, 4spd FT4WD auto

Hmm, I think that should cover it for now. Hey guys, do we have a FAQ for the board? We should....