Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Washed motor - lost idle (NOT disty cap)

Howdy folks. Glad I found this site! I have an '83 GL with an EA-81, 4wd, 4 spd, non-turbo. I have big plans for it as an off-road project car, but currently I need it for my daily drive.

It's leaking oil pretty bad, so I washed the motor to help trace the leak. The disty cap did get wet, but it was bad anyway. I replaced it with a new one after the wash (#3 wasn't firing). All is well, and it runs great, it just won't idle! I don't know what to do?? Any thoughts?

First things first......check for vacuum leaks. The easiest way to do this is to take the air filter lid off, while running, take a rag and put it over and cover the opening to the carb.....use both hands and try to cover it completely so it is completely sealed.....listen to the idle....if the idle increases when you do this = you have a vac leak. If your car is not idling well enough to even try this, adjust the idle up using the idle screw until it settles to a comfortable, unshaky idle.

Another thing......how long has it been since the fuel filter/separator was changed.

Actually, before your try any of this, Seafoam the carb to clear out any grit.

Thanks.

The story here is that this is one of those soobs, that has served many good people for many good years, with MINIMAL maintenance, but regular maintenance... i.e. oil changes. It has 200k on it now, and I'm planning on doing a major over haul in time, but now is not the time for me...

I never should've stressed over the leaks, because it was running like a champ! I'll go and see if it's a vacuum leak. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure Seafoam is in order too.