Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ive had the car for about a month. a week ago the it would only blow hot air no matter what setting or temp it was at. It was like this this morning. Left the car for ten hours. Came back started it up and with the car warmed up fully it would only blow cold air. Im guessing it has to do with the linkage to the mixer for the air but havent really done a whole lot of work on this car. So has anyone had a simalar problem. I pulled the radio but that does not allow access to the HVAC controls. Where is the mixer located is their an easy way to access it? I work at a ski area so heat is kinda a nessacity. I could see my breath the whole drive home tonight. Nothing like working out side in 20 degree weather only to have to drive and hour and a half home with no heat.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

David

Not sure on your model, but usually, you can see a cable going to the ductwork under the dash by the floor. Move your temp control back and forth to see if there's anything moving. Usually, the flap is located around the center of the ducting, very close to where the heater core would be.

There's no bypass on the heater core. Engine coolant always is circulating.

If you remove the glove box, you should be able to see where the cable goes to the box and flapper door. The little end probably broke off.

It is possible to bypass the heater core. I have done it when my heatercore sprung a leak. Just check it out.

Since the heat worked for the first three weeks im guessing its not bypassed, so i'll pull the glove box. Theirs just so much plastic in these newer cars takes forever just to get to the broken part. I guess im too used to my 83.

Thanks for the help.

David

The plastic stuff on the legacy isn't too bad. Try some of the newer-newer cars.

To get the glove box off, there's two screws underneath. It's a piece of cake.