Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb tear down

JLDT

Hi all

So I am taking apart my hitachi carb and cant seem to get the needle seat assembly out - I was thinking of getting one of those drill out kits where the bit will bite in and turn it out? Anyone know if that will work? I also have a few screws that won't come out - I am guessing WD40 and time are the best that I can do, but i'm open to ideas?

Thanks

The screws are ridiculously soft metal, so be careful with them. If you can get a pair of vice grips on the head, you can usually break them loose with the vice grips and then back them out with a screwdriver.

If your needle valve seat won't come out with a screwdriver that spans the seat, I suppose you could use an EZout to get it out, but don't forget you're working with soft brass.

thanks for the info so far - I went and bought a gallon of the carb cleaning solution and am soaking the non rubber or plastic part in that for the recommended time. of course one of the stuck screws is holding a diaphram on so I still have to get that off before I can move on.

ANy other thoughts on the easy out? I didn't think about the fact that it is brass - will the easy out even work or will I just tear up seat some more and dammage the threading?

Oh and while I am in there should I replace the jets or is there a way to check to make sure there is nothing wrong with them?

finally, should I use some sort of gasket goop when I put it back together or just put the gaskets in?

Thanks

Carbs should always be assembled dry - no gasket sealer.

The jets don't need to be replaced unless you are running too lean or rich. Cleaning them is all that is normally needed.

The EasyOut might work. Just make sure you don't strip the threads. You could also try getting a pair of vice grips on the seat.

So I have managed to misplace a spring - does anyone have an idea where i can get another one? It is the 'plunger spring' don't know if that helps, but I am not sure how to go about finding a replacement. Thanks for all the help so far.

I always use the carburetor rebuild kit from Napa since it comes with a new needle seat assembly, so I don't have to worry about trashing the old one. Both times that I have torn down a Hitachi carb I have resorted to the following technique.

Find a Torx driver bit that will just sit snuggly in the needle seat assembly. Then very carefully tap the Torx head into the assembly so the teeth bite into the soft brass. Now put a socket and ratchet on the end of the Torx bit and crank the assembly out. If the Torx bit slips give it a few more taps with a hammer to get it to bite down.

Do not try this unless you are sure you have a new assembly to install!

Hi all

So I am taking apart my hitachi carb and cant seem to get the needle seat assembly out - I was thinking of getting one of those drill out kits where the bit will bite in and turn it out? Anyone know if that will work? I also have a few screws that won't come out - I am guessing WD40 and time are the best that I can do, but i'm open to ideas?

Thanks

Update

Seeing as we have all been missing updates on problems here goes

The easy out worked - I have found a carb place that has the spring I need, so alls well hopefully I can have her running soon

It appears taht the problem was actually under the needle seat - so it is a good thing that I spent the time pulling it out. There appears to be alot of dirt under there and the screen is really dirty so that might explain my lack of fuel.

JLDT, glad you got it sorted. Hope you labeled all the friggin hoses - I didn't and had no end of problems until I trial-and-errored my way to getting the last two hoses hooked up correctly. But I digress - if you haven't already changed your fuel filter(s) do so. I had a fuel starvation problem after doing my carb and the filter was packed full of crap!

Glad it's working out for you. I'll echo what paulpicard says- change the filter. If you've got junk in the carb, you've definitely got it in the fuel filter. It's a messy job, but if you use vice grips to pinch the fuel line between the tank and the filter closed, it's not too bad.