Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 outback 2.5L - pcv valve quirk?

any thoughts about clean oil being sucked thru the PCV valve? Doesn't seem normal. The reason I even inspected the PCV valve in the 1st place was that the oil was particularly dirty after running this oil for 3000 miles (I was changing the oil for the 2nd time since new), and I suspected that the PCV might not be doing its job. Is it possible that the crank is throwing oil in the vicinity of where the PCV vacuum is sucking on the case? (the oil level in the crankcase is not overfilled). The dealer tech did show me (on a disassembled motor) how the chamber in the crankcase that the air gets sucked thru, has 2 horizontal baffles that the air must be drawn past, to get to the PCV valve. I can't imagine how clean oil is getting drawn thru this chamber, unless the vacuum is way too extreme. The tech did note that subaru recently moved the PCV valve to sit directly atop the crankcase on these 2.5 engines. The service manager took a look at the PCV valve (it appeared to be topped off with clean oil); I suspect that this oil is probably suspended in the vertical rubber vacuum hose during operation, and then returns to fill the top of the PCV valve at rest); he said it shouldn't be a problem. Just seems odd to me.

You're always going to have a little bit of oil residue and stuff in the PCV system....there's just no way around it. You could put in a separate oil catch can, but unless you have a turbo'd engine, I wouldn't really worry about it.

non-turbo. thanks josh. Glad to hear it's typical operation... mark