Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member - Clutch question

Hi There,

I'm new to USMB, so I hope I'm posting this message in the correct place.

I live in Fremantle (West coast of Australia) and own a 2000 Outback Limited Edition. It's pretty much the same as your (USA) 2.5L models except that it's got the dual range 5-speed manual box.

Anyway, reason for my message:

I'm becoming increasingly worried about my clutch. Every time I reverse a trailer up my fairly steep driveway the clutch stinks.

I use low range and I'm not aware of any slipping although I do sometimes need to take a couple of bites at the reversing when the trailer goes off line, so there's a bit of stop-starting. The trailer's not heavy (maybe 800kg) and I might use it once a month (towing a racing Mini).

Is the smell normal? I remember being at sprints and noticing how the WRXs smell after a hard start. The drivers always said it was normal and they didn't seem worried.

Cheers,

Dave

Well, it is slipping, at least some. It's inevitable when starting from standstill, especially pushing/pulling a trailer on a hill. The smell is some clutch material wearing away, so in that sense the smell is normal. This does shorten the life of the clutch, of course.

There are other threads on this forum with suggestions for maximizing the life of the clutch.